So in the past few months I was having discussions with some women at different times with each of them individually and I came across a similar pattern in all of their problems. Each one were suffering through a different problem such as, problems with spouse, anger management issues, difficulty looking after their children, feeling unsatisfied with their lives. And the one underlying cause for those problems was low self-esteem. All these women that shared their experiences were in some way or the other suffering through low self-esteem.
I decided to write this article because I know that there are many people who barely even speak about their problems. So I thought why not help people give a warning signal through these 10 signs that show that they might be suffering from low self-esteem. Also, these signs are not just for women but also for men so this blog post generally applies to everyone.
- Do you find yourself feeling anxious among people? One of the signs of low self-esteem could be that you feel nervous when you are with a lot of people. You don’t feel like attending parties or going to places where you will have to interact with a lot of people. Also, we are talking about people whom you already know and you have interacted with them in the past and no argument has taken place between you people to make you feel anxious. When asked why you don’t feel like to be among them you just don’t have any explanation.
- Do you simply follow the crowd? When you have to get there in the public you simply follow everyone else. You don’t want to be identified or want eyes on you. So you try your best to be like other people when stepping out of your home.
- Are you feeling inadequate all the time? Feelings of inadequacy are something common among people who are suffering from low self-esteem. They constantly feel like they are not doing enough. They feel that they haven’t done justice to their responsibilities and feel emptiness in their life.
- Do you have difficulty in accepting compliments? Each time someone compliments you, you feel like they are lying. You find difficulty in believing that you are good enough in terms of looks or at certain skills.
- Do you end up neglecting your rights? Another sign of low self-esteem could be that you treat yourself to be the last in everything or sometimes don’t even consider yourself rightful enough to fulfill your needs. When other people ask for your assistance you agree to them without looking at your ease because their approval means more to you than your peace.
- Are you constantly having negative thoughts? When someone is suffering from low self-esteem they tend to think negatively. If the husband is late from work they start assuming about another woman in their life. If wife doesn’t answer their call, husbands assume that there is something wrong with them. Whenever they do certain work they feel that it has not being done properly and wants to do them again. When the boss calls to speak to them privately the first thought is always a negative one that maybe they have done something wrong.
- Do you find yourself confused at all times? You are confused and have a hard time making a decision. You wait for others approval before making up your mind. You can’t singlehandedly decide your life course. Even something as simple as looking from a menu and ordering food makes you look at your loved ones for advice and you repeatedly confirm your decision before finally opting for it.
- You are afraid of challenges? Taking up something new and challenging is usually avoided. You feel like you won’t be able to do it and even if you agree to do it you find yourself in a lot of distress.
- Do you expect bad to happen to yourself? You might think of yourself as unworthy and start expecting bad things to happen to yourself. It could be people’s words or your own thoughts that might make you feel that way.
- Have stopped eating your favourite food? One of the last signs that I would like to state is the disinterest in your favourite food. If you are single and your mother is still cooking you might just eat what is on the plate without thinking much of what you like. If you are a wife or a mother, you might be cooking your family’s favourite meals while skipping cooking for yourself. If anyone even suggests to you, you simply shrug off the idea.
There can be more signs but these are the basic 10 signs of people who are suffering from low self-esteem. If you find these signs visible in yourself then just don’t stay back. Talk to a loved one, discuss your problems. You can also write to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jazakallah khairun kaseerun
Article coming up next week: 10 Ways to Build Your Self-esteem